Kari McCann Boutell, President
Iowa Council of Foundations
As we look ahead to the Community Foundations Legislative Breakfast this Thursday, I wanted to share some tools and resources with you to help prepare you for conversations with your legislators. As you know, the $6M in 2018 Endow Iowa Tax Credits have been distributed and the 2019 Endow Iowa Tax Credit wait list is already beginning to grow. We know this has created challenges in marketing the program and communicating with donors, especially this year while we await the approval of the FY19 state budget. It may seem hard to stay optimistic, but we have much to celebrate.
- Since inception of Endow Iowa, Iowa community foundations have leveraged more than $239,552,651 in permanent endowment fund gifts through 32,285 donations.
- Last year alone, grants from Endow Iowa qualified endowment funds were made in every county totaling $16 million.
- The Endow Iowa Tax Credits Program has helped to build more than 3,600 endowment funds that are permanent resources, building the capacity and strength of Iowa communities now and forever.
Endow Iowa is working. As we continue to reach out to our legislators and explain to them the administrative and communications challenges with the current wait list process, we must also take time to celebrate the success of this program and the good it is doing in Iowa. Be sure to thank your legislators for their past and current support of Endow Iowa. There are several ways you can demonstrate the impact Endow Iowa and the County Endowment Fund Program have had in your county and community:
- Attend a Town Hall meeting or Legislative Breakfast when your legislators are in your community.
- Write an Op-Ed in your local newspaper explaining how the County Endowment Fund and Endow Iowa programs have benefited your communities and county. Let me know if you’d like ICoF to guest author!
- Visit the Capitol for face-to-face interactions. 10-15 minutes can be the best way to communicate with your representatives.
- Make a call to your representatives. This can be an effective way to be engaged around issues that are important to you professionally as well as personally.
However you choose to advocate, please engage. Your local voice, perspective and opinions are important to our state and federal legislators. As we seek to protect and preserve policy that helps philanthropy do its best work in Iowa and around the country, we are asking you, our valued partners and members, to join us.