Kari McCann Boutell, President
Iowa Council of Foundations
As we look ahead to the Community Foundations Legislative Breakfast on March 24, I wanted to share some tools and resources with you to help prepare you for conversations with your legislators. As you know, the $6M in 2020 Endow Iowa Tax Credits have been allocated and tax credit certificates will be distributed to donors in May. That means the 2021 Endow Iowa Tax Credit wait list is already beginning to grow. We know this has created challenges in marketing the program and communicating with donors, especially this year while we await the approval of the FY21 state budget. We invite you to help us communicate with legislators the positive impact the program is having in your communities and counties. Here are some statistics you may wish to share:
- Since inception of Endow Iowa, Iowa community foundations have leveraged more than $287,569,800.29 in permanent endowment fund gifts through 38,927 donations.
- Last year alone, grants from Endow Iowa qualified endowment funds totaled $17.8 million.
- The Endow Iowa Tax Credits Program has helped to build more than 4,300 endowment funds that are permanent resources, building the capacity and strength of Iowa communities now and forever.
Endow Iowa is working. Be sure to thank your legislators for their past and current support of Endow Iowa. Please be sure to also communicate your appreciation for their support of the County Endowment Fund Program. The 15th year of grantmaking is taking place during this 2019-2020 funding cycle. Since 2004:
- 28,851 grants have been made; and
- $107 million has been invested in nonprofits and charitable causes across Iowa.
Additonally, participating CEFP counties now hold over $249 million in assets, which will support Iowans – forever. There are several ways you can demonstrate the impact these programs have had in your county and community:
- Attend a Town Hall meeting or Legislative Breakfast when your legislators are in your community.
- Write an Op-Ed in your local newspaper explaining how the County Endowment Fund and Endow Iowa programs have benefited your communities and county. Let me know if you’d like ICoF to guest author!
- Visit the Capitol for face-to-face interactions. 10-15 minutes can be the best way to communicate with your representatives.
- Make a call to your representatives. This can be an effective way to be engaged around issues that are important to you professionally as well as personally.
However you choose to advocate, please engage. Your local voice, perspective and opinions are important to our state and federal legislators. As we seek to protect and preserve policy that helps philanthropy do its best work in Iowa and around the country, we are asking you, our valued partners and members, to join us.
You can view the Spring 2020 Legislative Talking Points here.
You can view the 2020 Endow Iowa Fact Sheet here.
You can view the 2020 County Endowment Fund Program Fact Sheet here.
You can view the Iowa Community Foundations Fact Sheet here.