Kari McCann Boutell, President, Iowa Council of Foundations
As we look ahead to the Community Foundations Legislative Breakfast on March 30, I wanted to share some tools and resources with you to help prepare you for conversations with your legislators. As you know, the $6M in 2022 Endow Iowa Tax Credits have been allocated and tax credit certificates will be distributed to donors in May. The 2023 Endow Iowa Tax Credit wait list is already nearing $6M. For 2022 we have two asks, one of which was already approved:
- Reduce the maximum amount of tax credits awarded to an individual taxpayer to $100,000 annually. This was included in the tax bill that the Governor signed on Tuesday, March 1.
- Increase the annual tax credit allocation from $6 million/year to $10 million/year. We are still pursuing this ask.
We invite you to help us communicate with legislators the positive impact the program is having in your communities and counties. Endow Iowa is working. Be sure to thank your legislators for their past and current support of Endow Iowa. Here are some stats and facts you may wish to share.
Please be sure to also communicate your appreciation for their support of the County Endowment Fund Program. The House has a bill (HF2286) to direct sports wagering receipt dollars to CEFP. Since 2004, this program has resulted in 32,466 grants providing $125 million to nonprofits and charitable causes across Iowa. Additionally, participating CEFP counties now hold over $386 million in assets, which will support Iowans – forever. Here are some additional stats and facts. Please reach out to your legislators to ask for their support of this bill and directing the sports wagering receipt to the CEFP.
There are several ways you can demonstrate the impact these programs have had in your county and community:
- Attend a Town Hall meeting or Legislative Breakfast when your legislators are in your community.
- Write an Op-Ed in your local newspaper explaining how the County Endowment Fund and Endow Iowa programs have benefited your communities and county. Let me know if you’d like ICoF to co- author!
- Visit the Capitol for face-to-face interactions. 10-15 minutes can be the best way to communicate with your representatives.
- Make a call to your representatives. This can be an effective way to be engaged around issues that are important to you professionally as well as personally.
However you choose to advocate, please engage. Your local voice, perspective and opinions are important to our state legislators. As we seek to protect and preserve policy that helps philanthropy do its best work in Iowa and around the country, we are asking you, our valued partners and members, to join us.