Membership in the Iowa Council of Foundations is open to organizations with a primary focus on grantmaking (organizations having fundraising as their primary function are not eligible for membership). While members’ grantmaking budgets, styles and program interests may vary, all should have a common concern for making their involvement in philanthropy as effective as it can be. The annual membership fee is $350.00 per organization.
Currently, the following organizations are eligible for membership in the ICoF:
- Any charitable organization whose principal function is the making of grants within the state
- Private/Family Foundations
- Community Foundations
- Public Foundations
- Banks and trust companies which administer charitable trusts or foundations
- Corporations which have charitable grantmaking functions
- Donors whose grantmaking totals at least $25,000 annually to a variety of 501(c)(3) organizations;
- Government agencies whose re-granting is done on a competitive basis to a variety of 501(c)(3) organizations;
- Re-granting organizations operating on a state or local level (including United Ways and statewide intermediaries); and
- Public funders, an organization predominately supported by government funds, quasi-government funding trusts (eligible for membership on a case by case basis) and government agencies whose re-granting is done on a competitive basis to a variety of nonprofit organizations
- Operating foundations that accept applications from nonprofit organizations and other eligible grantees, and do not restrict giving solely to subsidiary chapters, member organizations or affiliates, or a single institution.
In addition, we will also invite professional philanthropic advisors and trust officers, retired grantmakers, former foundation board members, and students studying nonprofit management, philanthropy or public administration to join ICoF.
If you are not sure as to your organization’s eligibility, please contact the ICoF.
To apply for membership, please complete the membership form. We will be in touch with you regarding any additional questions about your application and/or organization. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about membership!